Thursday, December 3, 2009

A REAL JOB

by Stan C. Countz

1st CHORUS
Hey, they all say, “get a real job”; one that’ll pay, yessiree Bob
Update your resume; polish off your blog
It’s a new day, find a new job

VERSE 1
But I say “no one will pay me what I’m worth
Wanna do somethin’ great, do it best and first”
They’re drivin’ me insane; let me try to explain
Spent most of my life drivin’ in the fast lane
But what have I lost and what have I gained?
Was it worth the cost; was it worth the pain?
Like dusty rose petals, without a drop of rain
When the dust finally settles, what will still remain?

2nd CHORUS
But they all say, “get a real job”; one that’ll pay, yessiree Bob
It seems like only yesterday; I was sittin’ on a wad
It’s a new day, honest to God

VERSE 2
But the clock is tickin’, I’m quickly runnin’ out of steam
The sands are shiftin’, should I give up on my dreams?
The land grows dark; we’re runnin’ out of day
I wanna leave a mark before I’m old and gray
What will my family say about me when I’m gone?
“He made a lot of money” or will they sing my songs?
Will they recall all the time I spent mowin’ the lawn?
Or will they remember that day we played in the pond?

3rd CHORUS
‘Cuz they all say, “get a real job”; one that’ll pay, don’t be a slob
Ain’t bein’ cheesy, so help me God
It ain’t as easy as fallin’ off a log

BRIDGE
It’s time I give myself a pep talk and stop cryin’ in my beer
Stop thinkin’ ‘bout takin’ a long walk off a short pier
Should’ve left the grandstand and got off my rear
I’m gonna try my hand at a new career

VERSE 3
I’ve been meaning to do it all my life
To be a better husband to my wife
To write those songs I’ve been meaning to write
To right what’s wrong if it takes all night
Stop and smell the flowers / breathe the mountain air
Sing in the shower / weave flowers in my hair
Play in the leaves / take longer walks
Pray on my knees / skip a few rocks

OUTRO
But they all say, “get a real job”
Get your head out of the clouds, get out of the fog
By now I can say I think I found the right job
Gonna make some new friends, find myself and God
Gonna make amends with my ‘ol fishin’ rod
Then I can say I’ve got a “reel” job

No comments:

Post a Comment